Share

Tuesday 5 February 2013

What day is it?

As I embark on finding memory tags for the months on my mental calendar for the time before I began this process of remembering every day that passes, I am finding the exercise is bringing many events to mind.

So much so, I am now trying to think more about the days of the months for the years of 2010 and 2011, which are my main focus at the present time.

Practically, I do my normal review of the days since I began this process on 17 December 2011 as I wake up. Then if I have mental time free during the day - usually when I go for a run - I think back to the same day of the month for as far as I can go. The past 14 months is easy as I have memory tags for each day. Beyond that, I'm just lucky if one of the images I've found for the month falls on the right date.

To help orientate myself I am working out the day of the week for the date. Having an actual mental image of the calendar helps. For example, I know today 5 February 2013 is Tuesday.

In my mind's eye, the sheets for each month stretch out in front of the year 2013 in large flaming numbers.

I can step to my left from the date to the same date last year and, as if a drum rotates, 2012 comes up in front of me. When my mental foot lands on 5 February 2012, I know it was a Sunday, both because I can remember the day (we visited an industrial museum) and because it is two days earlier than this year as 2012 was a leap year.

Making another step, I know 5 February 2011 was a Saturday, on the basis it was not a leap year. Similarly, 5 February 2010 was a Friday.

I'm also becoming more adept and working out the days in doing a straight run back. I can get to 5 January 2012 as I remember the same date in each month (it was the day I took my wife to sign up to a college course - and a Thursday). Back a month and 5 December 2011 is before I began this process. However, I know that 31 days before a Thursday would have been a Monday.

I actually have an image for 6 December 2011 - it was the day I attended a course - and, sure enough, that was a Tuesday. Things start to slot into place.

I have found images for other days in the same week, but I'm not too bothered if there are blanks, but it is both satisfying and helpful when I can anchor an image to the correct date.

No comments:

Post a Comment