Share

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Perspective

As I wrote recently, I have lost the surprise that sometimes came with realising an event was a whole year ago.

Now I know what a year feels like: 365 days of events, places, people, weather, changes and familiarity.

When I was a child, it seemed that a year was an eternity. Looking ahead to summer holidays or thinking of moving to the next school year. Contemplating turning 18 and suddenly becoming an adult, wondering if something would suddenly switch on and I would know what to do and never be afraid, like my parents.

I have now recaptured something of that childhood feeling of how big a year is.

Yesterday in an odd moment, I thought back through the 15th day of each month since I began this process. As I often do when I have the time, I went back even further, which brought me to 15 April 2011.

Remembering that day brought a smile to my face.

Not only at the memory, but at the thought: "Ah yes, this is what two years feels like."

No comments:

Post a Comment