Share

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Overlap

Now I am into the second year of remembering every day that passes.

I am not consciously changing the techniques I have developed to retain the memories, but something has changed organically.

I start my reviews from when I began this process on 17 December 2011, or the closest date after it, two days before the current day of the week. Today is Wednesday, so I run through the images pinned to my internal calendar for Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Automatically the layout of the calendar in my mind has changed. Until this week, those first dates lay at the start of the sequence of weeks. Now thinking back, December 2011 is separated as it would be in a real calendar. The January dates are at the start of the sequence, December requires a turn of the page.

In this way my mind is adjusting to the overlap of dates.

It seems it is the days of the week that align. 

Today, Wednesday 19 December 2012, lies over Wednesday 21 December 2011 - the day we arrived at my parents' house and went for lunch in town.

Of course, I know where I was on this date a year ago - and that because of the leap year it is two days earlier, not one.

The clarity remembering gives me makes the effort, such as it is, worthwhile.

Visiting my parents this year, they asked whether we had been together last year and when other members of the family had arrived. I know the answers. Though for the years before, it is a struggle for me to remember too.

No comments:

Post a Comment