Share

Monday 20 April 2020

The Lockdown Challenge

Like half the planet I am currently on lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.

As I am living with someone who is in an at-risk group, I am not going out at all, other than for a walk around the grounds of our apartment block.

Days are pretty repetitive. But there's always something to single out as a memory tag.

I've been using the opportunity of knowing people will most likely be at home to call friends I haven't spoken with for years.

I've been recording some of my (bad) piano playing to share with family.

I've had Skype Sunday lunches with family in different houses.

I've been doing virtual runs - running in place/on the spot while watching a treadmill video on youtube and measuring my progress with my running watch in treadmill mode and a heart rate meter measuring my effort (so, for example, descending the Grand Canyon is a stand out day - yesterday, I started a virtual run of the New York City Marathon)

I've ordered shopping from a nearby store (not so significant, but still a landmark).

So, I can still run through the past month of lockdown and differentiate the days.

Without this process of measuring every day that passes, it would all be a blur. In fact, it would be difficult to even remember how long this has been going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment