Share

Saturday 23 March 2013

Global Postural Reeducation

My memory tag for 22 March 2013 is having a consultation to examine whether the clicking in my neck I have been experiencing for some months is due to poor posture.

And it seems my posture is worse than I thought!

It is not just a case of sitting up straight at a desk, instead of spending hour after hour in a slouch with my laptop on my lap.

In summary, my chin is pushed too far forward, my head is inclined backwards and to the right, my lower spine is curved backwards and my right shoulder is lower than the left.

The evidence was there in the mirror.

The solution proposed by the physiotherapist is Global Postural Reeducation. Which involves much more than sitting up straight!

I was taken through a series of exercises which aim to stretch various muscles, around my spine in particular, so my spine will align as it should, correcting all of the above.

I could feel from the exercises that my body is resisting this realignment. And so I aim to make them part of my daily routine - perhaps in the morning after the review of memory tags I conduct as I wake up. Although given the discomfort this morning, it may be better at the end of the day when I've loosened up.

The exercises are not just about stretching muscles that have set to hold me in the wrong position. It is a mental realignment that is needed as well. Even at this early stage I have some awareness of the position my body wants to slump into - even as I type this sitting at a desk - and the uncomfortable position it should be in, which has to become my new habit.

A quick search of the internet shows that Global Postural Reeducation is widely talked about and this study, at least, suggests it does have a genuine effect:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/11/285

So I have added GPR to my mid-life tune-up, which also includes my calorie restriction diet (two days below 600 calories per week) and remembering every day that passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment